Job Title: Compressed Air Service Technician
Location: Monroeville, PA
Reports To: Service Manager
Under general direction of Service Manager and Senior Service Technician – Installs, tests, adjusts, performs preventive maintenance and repairs a variety of air compressors sold by C.H. Reed. In consultation with management where appropriate, independent judgment is frequently required in coordinating projects, setting priorities and analyzing air compressor problems. The scope of job responsibilities is diverse and complex. The quality of decisions made contributes to the success of the company and to the positive image of the C.H. Reed brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Makes service calls to perform preventive maintenance or to analyze the malfunction of various types of air compressors, including piston/rotary screw/centrifugal and various types of air dryers and other air system components.
- Maintenance and analysis of problems involves comprehensive knowledge of the compressors mechanical systems and understanding of customer needs.
- Analysis results in repair/enhancement/replacement of equipment, focusing on the best operational needs of the customer.
- May require set-up of temporary compressors.
- Via the telephone – trouble shoots with customers to diagnose compressor problem, consults with manufacturers to determine solution to unusual problems.
- Accurately and legibly completes paper work, including preparation of quotes, work orders, warranty work, parts/equipment orders, office communications, time sheets, etc.
- Assists Sales Department in determining customer needs, by providing information on various equipment performance efficiencies and customer applications as requested.
- May collect payment, including cash, for C.O.D. arrangements.
- Practices good housekeeping at shop location, in vehicles, with tools and at customer locations.
- Complies with company policies and procedures, including company mission statement, business philosophy, safe work practices and quality commitment.
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES, THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
- Ability to perform as a team member and through positive words and actions, support co-workers and the company.
- Ability to respond verbally and in writing in a polite, clear and concise manner with customers, distributors, manufacturers, coworkers and the general public.
- Requires walking and standing 80% of work time; sitting, kneeling, crawling, bending, stooping to access equipment continuously throughout the work day; ability to operate equipment needed to repair/install compressors; ability to safety operate commercial vehicles.
- Ability to move 50+ lbs. continually through the workday and to move, on occasion, up to 1,000 lbs. utilizing an electric hoist.
- Exposure to: odors/fumes of ammonia, thinner, cleaners and paints, 80% of work time; high noise levels requiring hearing protection; and high voltage.
- Potential for poor working conditions at customer location, including heat/cold, high noise levels, poor lighting, poor ventilation; exposure to extreme weather conditions when working on customer’s outside equipment.
- Exposure to medical waste products requiring protective clothing when working in health care environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess a fundamental understanding and application of air compressor systems, parts lists, operations manuals and manufacturer’s specification. Proficient in some of the following disciplines, while requiring assistance from other technicians, in sheet metal applications, electrical wiring of control panels, pipe fitting, plumbing, reading of blue prints, use of equipment instrumentation and machining equipment including lathes, saws, drills and welding. Knowledge and proficiency is obtained through two years of vocational training in industrial machinery or from equivalent on-the-job training programs offered by equipment manufacturers or distributors, along with a minimum of 3 years of work experience demonstrating an advanced level of skill. Requires participation in continuing education programs offered by equipment manufacturers and distributors. Requires the availability to be on-call evenings/weekends per schedule or in emergency situations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of duties and responsibilities of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and skills required. C. H. Reed Inc. reserves the right to unilaterally, and at any time, modify this Job Description. If you are interested in exploring this position and a future with C.H. Reed, please email a detailed resume including work experience, skill set and salary history to Kyle Wertman: email@example.com. C.H. Reed offers a competitive wage and benefit package. C.H. Reed is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more about C.H. Reed, visit and browse the website, www.chreed.com.