To have the best trained, highest motivated, and most professional team in our trading market. All team members are passionate to deliver service with a sense of urgency that exceeds customer expectations.
Amazing people need a purpose, not just a paycheck. Our employees share the same assumptions, values, and beliefs aligned with our strategic vision. We embrace the key capacities that will drive the future of business and strive to recruit & develop top professionals who continually raise the industry “average.” At C.H. Reed, operational excellence isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.
Current Job Opportunities
Job Title: Compressed Air Service Technician
Location: Toledo, OH & Cleveland, OH Surrounding Areas
Reports To: Service Manager
SUMMARY: C.H. Reed is a leading industrial equipment distributor and service organization specializing in compressed air, fluid handling, and paint finishing systems sales, service, and repair. Since 1948, we have been adding value for our customers in the areas of operating efficiencies, energy, environment, quality, equipment reliability, and worker safety. Our comprehensive solutions can be found across Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, and Southern New York counties.
Under the general direction of the Service Manager and Senior Service Technician – Compressed Air Service Technicians Installs, tests, adjusts and performs preventive maintenance and repairs on a variety of most major air compressor brands and sizes. Direct consultation with management where appropriate, independent judgment is frequently required in coordinating projects, setting priorities, and analyzing air compressor problems. The scope of job responsibilities is diverse and complex. The quality of decisions made contributes to the success of the company and to the positive image of the C.H. Reed brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Makes service calls to perform preventive maintenance or to analyze the malfunction of various types of air compressors, including piston/rotary screw/centrifugal and various types of air dryers and other air system components.
• Maintenance and analysis of problems involve comprehensive knowledge of the compressor’s mechanical systems and understanding of customer needs.
• Analysis results in repair/enhancement/replacement of equipment, focusing on the best operational needs of the customer.
• May require a set-up of temporary compressors.
• Via the telephone – troubleshoots with customers to diagnose compressor problems, consults with manufacturers to determine solutions to unusual problems.
• Accurately and legibly completes paperwork, including preparation of quotes, work orders, warranty work, parts/equipment orders, office communications, timesheets, etc.
• Assists the Sales Department in determining customer needs, by providing information on various equipment performance efficiencies and customer applications as requested.
• May collect a payment, including cash, for C.O.D. arrangements.
• Practices good housekeeping at shop location, in vehicles, with tools, and at customer locations.
• Complies with company policies and procedures, including company mission statement, business philosophy, safe work practices, and quality commitment.
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES, THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
• Ability to perform as a team member and through positive words and actions, support co-workers and the company.
• Ability to respond verbally and in writing in a polite, clear, and concise manner with customers, distributors, manufacturers, coworkers, and the general public.
• Requires walking and standing 80% of work time; sitting, kneeling, crawling, bending, stooping to access equipment continuously throughout the workday; ability to operate equipment needed to repair/install compressors; ability to safely operate commercial vehicles.
• Ability to move 50+ lbs. continually through the workday and to move, on occasion, up to 1,000 lbs. utilizing an electric hoist.
• Exposure to odors/fumes of ammonia, thinner, cleaners and paints, 80% of work time; high noise levels requiring hearing protection; and high voltage.
• Potential for poor working conditions at a customer location, including heat/cold, high noise levels, poor lighting, poor ventilation; exposure to extreme weather conditions when working on customers’ outside equipment.
• Exposure to medical waste products requiring protective clothing when working in the health care environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Must possess a fundamental understanding and application of air compressor systems, parts lists, operations manuals, and manufacturer’s specifications. Proficient in some of the following disciplines, while requiring assistance from other technicians, in sheet metal applications, electrical wiring of control panels, pipe fitting, plumbing, reading of blueprints, use of equipment instrumentation, and machining equipment including lathes, saws, drills, and welding. Knowledge and proficiency are obtained through two years of vocational training in industrial machinery or from equivalent on-the-job training programs offered by equipment manufacturers or distributors, along with a minimum of 3 years of work experience demonstrating an advanced level of skill. Requires participation in continuing education programs offered by equipment manufacturers and distributors. Requires the availability to be on-call evenings/weekends per schedule or in emergency situations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of duties and responsibilities of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, and skills required. C. H. Reed Inc. reserves the right to unilaterally, and at any time, modify this Job Description. If you are interested in exploring this position and a future with C.H. Reed, please email a detailed resume including work experience and skillset to ApplyNow@chreed.com. C.H. Reed offers a competitive wage and benefit package. C.H. Reed is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about C.H. Reed, visit and browse our website.